The Inlandia Literary Laureate
The Inlandia Literary Laureate program celebrates the region’s most accomplished literary artists and encourages public awareness of inland southern California’s literary arts in all their forms. Applications for the Literary Laureate program have been received and the Inlandia Institute is in the process of organizing the review jury.
Thank you fo your patience as we embark into the next steps of the Literary Laureate application review process.
Literary Laureate Committee
Every two years the Inlandia Institute’s Board of Directors appoints the Literary Laureate Committee from the Inlandia Advisory Council and others recommended by the Council.
The Literary Laureate Committee is responsible for:
- Nominating and/or soliciting nominations
- Nominations can be made by anyone: self nomination are acceptable
- Vetting nominees
- Review and evaluate applications
- Select semi-finalist
- Interview semi-finalist
- Making recommendations to the Advisory Council
- Establishing a quiet period during which Advisory Council members can make comments to the Literary Laureate Committee as part of the vetting process
- Making final recommendation to the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors makes the appointment
Criteria for Inlandia Literary Laureate
Does the nominee
- Live or work in the Inland Empire
- Write in the regional voice of Inlandia that conveys a sense of the area and/or its people
- Have a willingness to work in public and community programs or service
- Inspire and mentor other creative writers
- Have an accessible body of critically acclaimed or significant work, and
- Has been published in the last 10 years?
- Is the nominee willing to accept the responsibilities of the position of Inlandia Literary Laureate
Literary Laureate Responsibilities
Inlandia Literary Laureate Responsibilities Include the following. Please make certain that your nominee is willing and able to fulfill these responsibilities.
Accept a two year appointment during which the designee will complete a number of engagements for the purpose of
- Promoting the reading of literature to children and the general public
- Encourage and promote creative writing
- Help foster and promote projects that engage the creative spirit
- A video interview for podcasting and the Inlandia website
- Creating articles, musings and/or blogs for the Inlandia website
- Recommendations of other authors
- Personal advice on the writing process
Literary Laureate Recognition
The Inlandia Literary Laureate will be recognized in the following ways
- Recognition at a major event
- Honorarium (award) to be raised privately — $5,000