The Inlandia Literary Laureate
The Inlandia Literary Laureate program celebrates the region’s most accomplished literary artists and encourages public awareness of inland southern California’s literary arts in all their forms. Nominations for Literary Laureate are currently being accepted and the Inlandia Institute is in the process of organizing the review jury.
Thank you fo your patience as we embark into the next steps of the Literary Laureate application review process. Read on for instructions for submitting your nomination and for information on the Literary Laureate selection procedures.
Literary Laureate Committee
The nomination process is simple. What we need:
- Your full name and contact information as well the full name and contact information (if you have it) of your nominee.
- An explanation of why you think this nominee for Inlandia Literary Laureate meets the criteria for appointment and why you are putting forth this nomination, not to exceed one page.
- A biography of the author, not to exceed one page.
- A listing of the author's publications over the last ten years, not to exceed one page.
- A writing sample illustrating why you think the nominee meets your definition of a regional voice vested in the people and places of this unique region, not to exceed two pages.
All of these items, save for your explanation and contact information, can be culled from other sources (from the author themself, an author’s website, a copy of a passage from a book, etc.).
Yes, it is acceptable to nominate yourself. In fact, we encourage it. If you meet all of the qualifications, we would love to hear from you.
The entire nomination package should not exceed five pages, and should be included in one electronic file as a Word document (.doc), in rich text format (RTF), or as a PDF, or if you would prefer to mail it, you may.
Electronic nominations can be submitted at: https://inlandiaaliteraryjourney.submittable.com/submit
Or nominations in hard copy may be mailed to:
Inlandia Institute4178 Chestnut Street, Riverside CA 92501.
Please note “Inlandia Literary Laureate” on the envelope.
Every two years the Inlandia Institute’s Board of Directors appoints the Literary Laureate Committee from the Inlandia Advisory Council and others recommended by the Council.
The Literary Laureate Committee is responsible for:
- Nominating and/or soliciting nominations
- Nominations can be made by anyone: self nomination are acceptable
- Vetting nominees
- Review and evaluate applications
- Select semi-finalist
- Interview semi-finalist
- Making recommendations to the Advisory Council
- Establishing a quiet period during which Advisory Council members can make comments to the Literary Laureate Committee as part of the vetting process
- Making final recommendation to the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors makes the appointment
Criteria for Inlandia Literary Laureate
Does the nominee
- Live or work in the Inland Empire
- Write in the regional voice of Inlandia that conveys a sense of the area and/or its people
- Have a willingness to work in public and community programs or service
- Inspire and mentor other creative writers
- Have an accessible body of critically acclaimed or significant work, and
- Has been published in the last 10 years?
- Is the nominee willing to accept the responsibilities of the position of Inlandia Literary Laureate
Literary Laureate Responsibilities
Inlandia Literary Laureate Responsibilities Include the following. Please make certain that your nominee is willing and able to fulfill these responsibilities.
Accept a two year appointment during which the designee will complete a number of engagements for the purpose of
- Promoting the reading of literature to children and the general public
- Encourage and promote creative writing
- Help foster and promote projects that engage the creative spirit
- A video interview for podcasting and the Inlandia website
- Creating articles, musings and/or blogs for the Inlandia website
- Recommendations of other authors
- Personal advice on the writing process
Literary Laureate Recognition
The Inlandia Literary Laureate will be recognized in the following ways
- Recognition at a major event
- Honorarium (award) to be raised privately — $5,000